Contents stated in citizen identity cards of Vietnam (Internet image)
1. Contents stated in citizen identity cards of Vietnam
Article 18 of the Law on Citizen Identification 2014 stipulates the contents stated in citizen identity cards of Vietnam as follows:
– A citizen identity card has the following information:
+ On the front side of a card, there are the national emblem of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam; the words “Cong hoa xa hoi chu nghia Viet Nam, Doc lap – Tu do – Hanh phuc” (The Socialist Republic of Vietnam, Independence – Freedom – Happiness);
The words “Can cuoc cong dan” (Citizen identification);
Photo, citizen identity card number, family name, middle name and first name, birthdate, gender, nationality, native place, place of permanent residence; and expiry date.
+ On the back side of a card, there is an encoded place for information storage;
Fingerprints, characteristics for identification of the card holder; date of card issuance;
Family name, middle name, first name, title and signature of the card issuer, and a seal bearing the national emblem of the card-issuing agency.
2. Use validity of citizen identity cards in Vietnam
Article 20 of the Law on Citizen Identification 2014 stipulates the use validity of citizen identity cards as follows:
– Citizen identity card is a personal paper of a Vietnamese citizen which proves citizen identification of the card holder for conducting transactions in the Vietnamese territory.
– Citizen identity cards shall be used instead of passports in case Vietnam and a foreign country have signed a treaty or international agreement permitting citizens of the signatories to use citizen identity cards instead of passports in each other’s territory
– Competent agencies, organizations and individuals may request a citizen to produce his/her citizen identity cards for checking identification and information specified in Article 18 of the Law on Citizen Identification 2014;
Use personal identification numbers in citizen identity cards for checking information about the card holders in the national population database and specialized databases in accordance with law.
When a citizen produces his/her citizen identity card at the request of a competent agency, organization or individual, this agency, organization or individual may not request the citizen to produce another paper to prove the information specified in Clauses 1 and 3 of Article 20 the Law on Citizen Identification 2014.
– The State shall protect legitimate rights and interests of holders of citizen identity cards in accordance with law.
3. Order and procedures for grant of citizen identity cards in Vietnam
Pursuant to Article 22 of the Law on Citizen Identification 2014, the order and procedures for grant of a citizen identity card are provided as follows:
Step 1: An applicant for a citizen identity card fills in a declaration made according to a set form;
Step 2: A person assigned to collect and update information and documents specified in Clause 2, Article 13 of Law on Citizen Identification 2014 checks and compares them with information in the national population database in order to accurately identify the to-be-holder of a citizen identity card;
A citizen who has no information in the national population database shall produce lawful papers proving information to be written in the declaration according to a set form.
Persons serving in the People’s Army or People’s Public Security shall produce their identity cards granted by the People’s Army or People’s Public Security, enclosed with introduction letters of heads of their units;
Step 3: An officer of the citizen identification management agency shall take photos and fingerprints of the applicant;
Step 4: An officer of the citizen identification management agency shall issue a receipt stating the date of handover of the citizen identity card to the applicant;
Step 5: Citizen identity cards shall be handed to citizens within the time limit and at the place stated in the receipt under Article 26 of this Law; in case a citizen wishes to receive his/ her card at another place, the citizen identification management agency shall hand the card to him/her at the place requested by the citizen who shall pay mail charges.
Note: For a person who suffers any mental or other diseases which deprive him/her of the ability to perceive and control his/her acts, his/her lawful representative shall appear together with him/her to carry out the procedures specified in Clause 1 of Article 22 of the Law on Citizen Identification 2014.
>> CLICK HERE TO READ THIS ARTICLE IN VIETNAMESE